What Should I Do After an Atlanta Car Accident?
“What should I do after an Atlanta car accident?” is one of the most common questions we hear. We all know the proper steps to avoid a car accident — obey the law, stay alert, and be smart — but many people have no idea what to do right after a car accident happens.
In this article, we offer some helpful information that we hope will make you feel confident that you will be prepared in the event that you are involved in a car accident on one of Atlanta’s busy roadways
What to Do Immediately After a Car Accident
The moments following a car accident can be overwhelming and scary. Immediately after a car accident, you should do a few important things, including:
- Stay calm, take a breath, and regroup
- Check yourself and passengers in your vehicle for injuries
- Turn on your hazard lights
- Call 911 immediately and request assistance and an ambulance
- If the accident is minor and it is safe to do so, move your car to the side of the road
At the Accident Scene
So long as you are medically able to do so, you should always stay at the scene of a car accident, and you should do the following:
- Check on any other drivers or passengers involved, and help them to safety.
- Write down the names, addresses, phone numbers, and insurance information for anyone involved in the accident, as well as witnesses nearby.
- Use your cellphone to take pictures of the cars involved, to include damage and license plates, and of the other drivers involved.
- Get the name, department, contact information of the officer who handles the accident, and ask him/her for the case number assigned to the accident.
- If your car is not drivable, contact your insurance company to find out what tow truck services are covered under your policy, and arrange transportation.
After the Accident is Cleared
Once the car accident is cleared, your mind is probably racing. You may have adrenaline coursing through your body, which can exacerbate your emotions and temporarily hide the pain from injuries. Here are some helpful steps you should take after the accident is cleared:
- Get Medical Attention — Right after a car accident, you may not be in any pain, and you may not suspect any injuries. In the days following, be aware of your body, and get medical attention if you notice bruising, pain, or unusual symptoms. If in doubt, go the doctor or hospital. Keep all medical records for the accident.
- Contact Your Insurance Company — Contact your insurance company immediately after a car accident and get more information about your coverage. Many insurance policies will help cover the cost of towing, rental car fees, and medical expenses. Beware of other insurance companies contacting you to settle a claim from another party involved in the accident, and do not make any agreements without speaking to an attorney.
- Get Legal Guidance — If you were injured in an Atlanta car accident, it is recommended that you consult a personal injury attorney right away. A skilled personal injury attorney can guide you through the process of filing or managing claims, help you protect your rights, and be certain that you get the compensation you deserve after an injury.
At Yates and Wheland we can help you get the benefits and settlement that you deserve. Don’t wait until the insurance companies start intimidating. Call us at (404) 369-7056. Let us work for you.